I’ve been thinking of building a new desktop… I was hoping for some peer reviews to see if I’m missing anything. I’m not positive what this will run, but I’m trying to favor OSx86 hardware in case. This machine will probably house some virtual machines, hence the quad core and generous RAM. I’m not going dual monitors yet, but I’m trying to find a video card that will support dual monitors.
- Gigabyte GA-EP45T-UD3P motherboard. (Onboard SATA RAID, dual GigE, USB and Firewire.) It only supports DDR3.
- Intel Q9400, quad-core 2.66 GHz, 6MB cache. It’s about $40 more than a Q6600, which I think is worth it.
- 2x of these 2x2GB DIMMs, for a net of 8GB RAM. Substantially cheaper than some of the other RAM out there.
- Zalman CPU Cooler. I’m not planning on overclocking, but I think a CPU heatsink is an area to pay for quality. Comes with thermal grease.
- Asus EN9800GT video card, aka a Radeon 9800GT. On the OSX 10.5.6 compatibility list, and pretty fast. I know there are better cards out there, but I don’t intend to do much intense gaming. Looks like this card will support dual monitors at some point.
- A pair of 640GB SATA disks, to be mirrored. I wanted RAID 1+0 across 1TB drives, but I’m trying to keep the price down.
- The Asus 21.5″ LCD I blogged about the other day. 1920×1080 will be a nice step up.
I plan to re-use my old case and power supply (300W), along with the DVD drive, keyboard, and mouse. Thoughts?