Tonight I installed dnsmasq as a caching DNS forwarder on our home network (under a VM, no less). Additionally, I changed our primary DNS servers to those hosted by OpenDNS. To double-check that things were working, I figured I’d whip up a quick script to make a bunch of DNS requests and give an average time. First round, I faced the OpenDNS server against Cox’s own. I’d never really benchmarked the Cox DNS servers, so this was quite enlightening:
andrew@ubuntu-server-vm:~$ php ./dns_bench.php dothedrew.net 184.108.40.206 Average response time: 27.53 andrew@ubuntu-server-vm:~$ php ./dns_bench.php dothedrew.net 220.127.116.11 Average response time: 158.58
This only serves to strengthen my belief that all cable ISPs are run by pharmacists.
To satisfy morbid curiosity, here are the results against the local dnsmasq daemon:
andrew@ubuntu-server-vm:~$ php ./dns_bench.php dothedrew.net 127.0.0.1 Average response time: 0.21
That’s only about, oh, a 755x improvement. Hopefully that’ll sufficiently speed things up.